Saturday, October 8, 2011

On final project

It has been 8 weeks from the start of the semester. The start of CS3216. There has been a lot of events and stories. Most important, I think I really can do what I love here. Spending hours, days and nights setting up the database, coding and debugging. And on things that I want to build! It’s really exciting to be part of the journey, got new friends, been through two assignments, picked up new languages :-). I almost wished that every module can be as awesome as this one, before I realized what will happen to my school life when I am going to spend over 20 hours a week for each of 5 modules.

Ok let’s talk about our final project. What makes it so great that I want to join the team? What can it make a difference to me? Ok, we are going to build an interactive storyboard based on a cartoon. This is for kids, obviously :-). To my thought, this is like a mixed between a cartoon and a comic book. You (the kid) can actually control the cartoon’s speed, and can really interact with the content :-). Isn’t this what I want when I was a kid? To watch over and over again the scene that Superman beats the villain? Now by swiping on the iPad, and playing games that embedded right into the cartoon. So it’s like making a childhood dream comes true to me.
So after the meetings and discussions with Prof and 2359, what are we supposed to do is to build a framework for the making of the storyboard, make it easy for the editor to insert pictures/scripts or animations into it. It should be scalable, and easy to use enough that can handle multiple episodes content. Maybe in the future it can be a framework that a cartoon maker company will think of when they are about to build an interactive storyboard. From the tech side, we will use the Sparrow based on the raw code supplied by 2359 to complete the framework. Other than that, we are going to build a 3D game based on the cartoon (stay tuned, you will know what it’s about in the poster session) :-) From my side, I have to pick up Obj-C and Sparrow fast in order to start coding this weekend. Hope things go well to the end of the semester. Really excited now!

3 comments:

  1. Is this the same project 2359 pitched during the external pitching session?

    But it really does sound like awesome. I remember playing some of the interactive story games on my win95, on CD-ROM. I wasn't that young when I tried it, but I still enjoy it quite a bit. I can see how an iPad interactive storybook framework is gonna be awesome. All the best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woo. An interesting idea. You guys are making what I was dreaming for. Kids like games, and this app is more than gaming, so it must be successful!

    :-)

    ReplyDelete