Monday, August 29, 2011

Reflection on Facebook/iPad app seminar


Well, so the Facebook/iPad seminar is over, tomorrow is a public holiday (but not for every CS3216 student, I’m quite sure haha), then Thursday is assignment 1 deadline, assignment 2 supposed to be issued today, and I am sitting here writing a blog post. How cool?
Ok let’s start. My assigned iPad application is InClass by group 5. Since I haven’t had a chance to play with it, my reflections are basically base on their presentation. There are two points that I am quite concerned from the app:
-       UI design: it turned out that most of the “bad and ugly” things tonight contain UI design. Why’s that? I don’t know, but in my opinion, I think it’s impossible to make a UI that satisfies everyone. The inClass app is an example. I think it has a good UI, but as they presented, the UI itself is not quite intuitive.
-       Target a specific group of user: I agree with this term, as it is true not only for applications, but for every products out there. Knowing who the application will serves is a must, and luckily (as a student), I think the inClass satisfy very well the need of student for taking notes and managing tasks.
And also there are some points worth noting from the seminar also:
-       There are only 1.5/11 (the Sims social and half of Pekay’s little author) apps are about Facebook app. While the name of the seminar is *Facebook/iPad seminar, more than 10 choose iPad. And we don’t even touch iOs programming this semester right? Is Facebook app dying? Maybe, as for what I’ve seen, top used/grossing “apps” on Facebook are games. And our group spent quite a hard time to figuring out which Facebook app to choose also :(.
-       Microsoft’s talk last week and the HTML5 workshop seems to have a good impact. Half of the groups today chose it as their implementation solution (and note the fact that 10.5 present an iPad app). HTML5 will take over the world?

That’s it. Back to coding. One last thing, having to give a reflection on an app that I haven’t used before and only heard it for 7 minutes is damn hard for me :(

Ah one more last thing, may I know when will iPad v2 come Prof ? Week 4 already :(

4 comments:

  1. Ah one more last thing, may I know when will iPad v2 come Prof ?

    Really dunno. They are doing some tender thing. Takes a while. The workshop will inform me once the iPads come in and Kok Wee will issue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok sory for the test it appears that IE8 have some commenting issues. ZZ

    I feel that the market for the fb application is still there. Perhaps it is just that we have use this platform for so long and we are tired of it. I know that there is still a lot of new users on facebook and they will be immersing themselves in those application. Facebook application is still a good way to pass time and be in the application's sweet world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the point about FB apps' market is quite an interesting one.
    For my group (which presented abt the Sims Social), we also had some big troubles trying to find a popular and useful app (enhancing productivity in some way, I mean), but most of the things we got were games?
    I think the market for something more serious, that make use of FB platform is still available? Maybe the problem is because FB came out as something to get fun. So pp come there without really wanting to get some works done.
    But it has great potential, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete